Friday, March 27, 2009

Bicycling In Cambodia

Transportation in Cambodia is really not great, and bicycling for me remains the only way I can get around the country without being at the mercy of someone's driving. It is possible to do, but still difficult. As you can see, the kromah I have wrapped around my face and head protects me from the sun and wind, and a cloth around my mouth and nose can prevent me from breathing dust. I bicycle to and from Siem Reap regularly with this getup, and the 56k ride takes about three and a half hours. When I'm finished, there is a fine layer of red dust that covers my entire body. I regularly have to dodge buffaloes, cows, slow moving bicycles, as well as stay out of the way of cars and trucks going by. Even still, it's good fun and exercise.

1 comment:

Adrian Stover said...

That's quite a handsome man in that picture.