Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Beginning Of The School Year Speech

This is the speech I made last week when the flood water went down enough for the students to assemble in the front yard of the school. I wrote it in English, gave it to my counterpart to translate into Khmer script, and then spent a week wrapping my tongue around it. It went pretty well, although a student in the front row fainted during the middle of it. He seemed okay afterwords when he was resting in the school office, but maybe he had not eaten for a while. It kind of threw me off for a little bit, but I recovered nicely with a joke that my Khmer accent was too strong. Anyway, here is the speech...in English.

I wish to welcome you back to school! I hope that you study hard this year and become intelligent and useful members of society. I am speaking to you today in Khmer for many reasons. First I wish to thank the students who helped create the world map last month. With their hard work, they helped to create something beautiful that the whole community can be proud of. [Hold For Applause]

I have been in Cambodia for fourteen months. I will leave to go back to America in ten months. I will not return to Cambodia for many years. I want my time in Cambodia to be productive, and I wish to help the people of Angkor Chum as much as possible. Because I have only ten months left, I ask that you help me. Study hard in your English classes, come to the events and classes that I organize, and learn from me as much as possible. Many schools in Cambodia do not have foreign English teachers. You are very lucky! Use this opportunity while you still can, and you will be rewarded with knowledge.

Perhaps you have seen the fish in the concrete rings behind the school office. These fish are part of a mosquito control program. These fish eat mosquito larvae, which live in water containers across Cambodia. If everyone had fish in their water containers in Angkor Chum, there would be fewer mosquitos and less disease like dengue fever. I ask that responsible class monitors from grades 10 and 11 help me take care of the fish. We will feed them, clean their tanks, and sell them to people to put in their water storage containers. When I leave for America, it will be their responsibility to take care of the fish. Together we can defeat the evil mosquitoes and destroy disease! [Applause]

I also ask all students to respect the fish. Do not throw your trash into their homes! Respect them as you would respect your own family.

For students who enjoy learning English, I am going to start a new class this year. It will be in the library, and it will focus on reading books. I have many books from America that I want to share with you, and reading books will help you learn English more than English for Cambodia or New Headway books. It will give you new ideas and knowledge. I once met a Cambodian doctor in Phnom Penh. He told me that he was able to become a doctor because he could read English, and he was able to read many books. If you can read many books, you may become a doctor just like him.

In November, after the water festival, I will also try to present a special Cambodian Film Festival for all students in Angkor Chum. With the help of a local NGO, I will present to you movies about Cambodia. Two will be in Khmer, and one will be in English. They will all be about Cambodia. I ask you to come and watch these movies, and discuss them.

As many of you know, I like to study Khmer. However, my Khmer is not very good and I need help learning it. Peace Corps is going to give me a test in Khmer, and I am afraid I will not pass it if I do not receive help. I am looking for a responsible student to help me learn Khmer. I will need to study written Khmer and spoken Khmer. The Peace Corps will pay a certain amount of money each month to a student, if you are responsible and a good teacher. I cannot teach English to this student during these classes, you must be a good Khmer teacher. If you are interested in becoming my teacher, please find me and tell me.

Again, I hope that you have a successful year, and I look forward to seeing you in class.

No comments: